Monday, June 12, 2006

Israeli Biologist Turning Tumors into Gold


Karl Skorecki, a biologist at Technion University in Haifa, Israel, is among a handful of researchers hoping to turn a certain kind of rare tumor into biological gold. Accoring to the New York Times, new research suggests that the very property that makes these teratoma tumors sinister - their ability to spawn human tissues - makes them valuable scientifically.

A tumor's encroachment is always terrifying, but teratomas, literally "monster tumors," exert a macabre hold on the imagination because they contain human elements remixed with Frankensteinian logic. It is not unusual for a teratoma to contain patches of hair, errant wedges of cartilage and even fully formed teeth. In the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," Toula's Aunt Voula describes her teratoma as a mutant version of herself: "I had a lump at the back of my neck," she says. "So I go to the doctor, and inside the lump he found teeth and a spinal cord. Inside the lump was my twin."

Teratomas' most fascinating quality, Dr. Skorecki said, is their capacity to generate a smorgasbord of human tissue varieties, including bones, skin and ligaments. As a result, researchers testing a new medicine on a cancer-seeded teratoma can gauge what effects the drug will have on different cell types without enlisting human subjects. "Right now, there isn't a good way to derive primary human cells in the lab, other than a few limited types," Dr. Skorecki said. "With this model, you can see how different kinds of cells respond to the drugs."


Full Story: NY Times

2 Comments:

At 1:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my stock promotion site.
Have a good day!

 
At 4:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a stock market history
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home